Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The Ugly and the Unwanted

The ugly and the unwanted may just as well be an essay on the human condition but that is too deep and too philosophical, not to mention judgmental, for me to write about in this April Challenge for bloggers that I am sort of side stepping any way.


I really had to scratch my hairless head for the letter U.  But since spring is in full swing, there are those ugly and unwanted critters that are awakening and will visit the garden to nibble on new and vulnerable plants and seedlings.

To do least harm to the environment, I found a recipe "to clobber bugs and thugs" in the early spring garden.  I hope Jerry Baker doesn't mind me sharing his tonic from his book Backyard  Problem Solver.

Mix the following ingredients together and put in a handheld sprayer:

3 tbs baking soda
2 tbs Murphy's Oil Soap
2 tbs canola oil
2 tbs vinegar
2 gal warm water

It is important that the plants be well sprayed, the underside of the leaves too, until they are dripping wet.  This may have to be repeated a few times.

It is also important to catch the ugly and the unwanted bugs and thugs early in the spring before they have a chance to do too much harm.

Thank you or visiting my blog.

2 comments: