Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Umbrella Plants

Different garden books give different definitions of the Umbrella Plant.  One source claims that it is related to the Shefflerea and the other claims that it bears no resemblance to the Shefflera.  It is related instead to the ancient Egyptian papyrus and is also called Nile Grass.  This plant has feathery top growth and stiff stems grow from a clump with palmlike leaves radiating from the stems (Better Homes and Gardens).

Let's go with Miracle-Gro's information on the upright Umbrella Tree and the Shefflera.  Both are fast growing plants with coarse leaves.  They are both used as "architectural accents."  I have several hardy Sheffleras in the Park.  They are doing very well and they are a welcome addition to the landscape with its lush and dense greenery.

You will instantly recognize the Umbrella Plant as you walk through almost any lobby in an office building.  You will also find them in a hospital setting or doctor's office.  They require little care but provide a lot of green both inside and outside.

========================================================================

EXTRA...................................EXTRA.............................EXTRA

I am so excited!  On Saturday, I get to write my blog using the letter X.  
I would love for it to be group participation.
Please, join me!




3 comments:

  1. I've always liked Umbrella plants - so green and soft looking. New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping in. Please, come again. It's been "fun" with this A to Z. Margareta

      Delete
  2. I have two of these plants in my livingroom. One was given to me by my daughter who wanted me to 'fix' it, when it was sick. Now she won't take it home again. I do like them, but they gather a lot of dust and need to be tediously cleaned. lol Great choice for U.
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete