Friday, April 19, 2013

Quick Quiche for a Quiet Morning

Early and sunny mornings are special.  We retreat to our summer kitchen, our sanctuary.  The summer  kitchen places us out in our park among trees and greenery.  We make our breakfast as the sun comes up and the birds start chirping.  Other than natural noises in nature, it is quiet.

Early this morning I brewed hazelnut coffee, lit a candle, and set the table with napkins and flowers.  I told my husband that I was making a Quick Quiche.  He groaned.  He reminded me that real men don't eat Quiche, but he humored me (I'm sure) and urged me to bring it on.

To prepare the Quiche, I mixed 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour with 1 and 1/2 cups of milk and added 5 medium eggs to this mixture and set it aside.  I chopped some onions, tomatoes, and broccoli and set that aside, too.  I grated 4 oz of Swiss cheese and let that stand somewhere.

Since I don't have a conventional oven in the summer kitchen, I made the Quiche in a non-stick skillet. Otherwise, this Quiche would be poured into some kind of pan and put in a 350 F degree (175 C degree) oven to bake for about 35 minutes.

I melted 2 tbs butter in the skillet, added the vegetables, the egg and milk mixture, and the grated cheese.  I stirred it around a little and let it cook in 350-300 F degrees for around 20 - 25 minutes.

The Quiche looked rather pale, so I added some finely chopped parsley and colored the Quiche with paprika.  It's looking pretty good!  My husband enjoyed the Quick Quiche .  It was even better the second time around.

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a charming post1 It sounds so inviting to spend a morning like this. Just discovered your blog from the Challenge. I'll be back to browse some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for looking in on my blog. The summer mornings are the highlight of our days. Coffee is on. Margareta

    ReplyDelete