Thursday, April 11, 2013

Journaling

When my husband and I visited granddaughter last December, I bought a book to use as my journal.  Granddaughter was surprised to learn that the book had only blank pages.  I explained to her that I planned to write about my adventures, add stickers, color, and decorate with pretty flowers and vegetables, or whatever else caught my fancy.  This ended the conversation and the subject was forgotten.

I have a twelve month gardener's journal but it's for the West Coast and is not applicable to NE Florida.  However, it has some guidelines and check lists for each month.  There is plenty of space for me to write a " to do list," document what is in bloom, and jot down thoughts for next year.

It is important for me to plot my garden even if it is for planning purposes only.  Once I get the seeds and plants, the best well laid plans go astray.  I still draw and write down what is planted where and when, the expected germination and maturation periods.  Once I wrote down how much 5 pounds of seed potatoes yielded:  it was not a good year.

Have you noticed that broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage look quite similar when first transplanted?  I have ignored writing in my journal many times, because I would remember what I did for heaven's sake.  The following day I wondered what the heck I did (which isn't just applicable to gardening).  It's old age, you know.  What did you think?

As you may know, my husband and I again visited granddaughter for spring break and we went to a used bookstore with her.  Her grandfather helped her pick out her books while I did some browsing of my own.  Back at the motel, she told me that she was going to write in her journal.  She had found a book with blank pages!  I was surprised that she knew about journaling.  She'll be six today.  Happy Birthday!  Don't think that the children don't learn from you.

With some help with the spelling, she wrote in big bold letters:  I love you, you love me, and together we are a happy family.

Happy Journaling



1 comment:

  1. I always kept a journal but now I find I type faster than I can write and I make a lot of stupid spelling mistakes.

    ReplyDelete