Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Okra

Okra is an edible vegetable pod best grown in well drained and well manured soil in tropical and warm regions.  At this time, my okra seeds are sitting in a bowl of water because it is sometimes difficult to get them to germinate.  This will give them a head start.

One gardener at the seed store suggested that I add a bit of vinegar to the water and another said that I should knick the seeds with a sharp knife.  Do you know how small those seeds are?

I found out that okra is related to the hibiscus and cotton families.  The okra's pale yellow flowers do remind me about the hibiscus but the relation to the cotton is a stretch.  The okra blooms attract pollinating insects as well as stink bugs.  The latter are the light green, shield shaped beetles.

I read somewhere that the okra leaves may be cooked as greens (kale, mustard, etc) or they may be eaten raw in salads.  I will check this out for myself later this summer.  I usually cut up the okra and stir fry them with onions.  Okra in any form is an acquired taste--a good and interesting taste, different.

If you have a taste for okra, also known as lady finger, you love the slime and all.  Okra is used in gumbo, a famous New Orleans soup thick as stew. The okra is used as a thickening agent. The gumbo is made in so many different ways and served over rice.  It is good eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment