Sunday, May 5, 2013

Cinco de Mayo Celebration

Cinco de Mayo is the anniversary of a victory by Mexican forces in 1862 in the fight for independence from French forces in the Battle of Pubela.  It is a festival of Mexican pride and heritage in the United States.  It gives me an opportunity to try some recipes.  Here is one for a Chunky Salsa:

In a cook pot, combine 3 lbs diced plum tomatoes; 20 oz (1 pkg) frozen corn kernels; 2 med onions and 2 cloves of garlic diced; 2 chopped jalapenos; 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (or parsley); 1 can (5.5 oz) tomato juice; and salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer for about 10 minutes.

Drain and rinse 1 can (15 oz) of black beans and add to the pot and cook for another 10 minutes or so.  Let cool and serve with corn chips.  Store in the fridge but enjoy within 2 weeks.

For a Simple Margarita:  In a shaker combine 1 cup tequila, 2/3 cup fresh lime juice, 1/3 cup orange flavored liqueur, and 2 tsp sugar.  Shake it all up.  Pour into glasses with rims rubbed with lime and dipped in coarse salt.

Now excuse me.  I am going to carry my tray with salsa, chips, and margaritas outside.  I have my one and only stairway patterned quilt under my arm.  My husband has just fastened a red hibiscus flower in my hair. . . .  We are on the trail through the Park and to Margaritaville.  See ya'!

No comments:

Post a Comment