Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Watermelon Rind Pickles

Lately, I have been trying out recipes from the first The Foxfire Book.  This book came out in 1972 and the material (oral histories) collected and put together almost entirely by high school students in Rabun Gap GA in the Appalachian Mountains.  The books are introduced and edited by Elliot Wigginton, the teacher and inspiration for the books. There are many interesting recipes for breads and cakes and how to preserve fruit and vegetables.  I have used the recipe to make Watermelon Rind Pickles.

To make four pounds (1.8 kg) of watermelon rind pickles, here it goes:

Remove the pink pulp and also remove the green peeling any way you can.  Weigh out four pounds (1.8 kg) and cut the rind into 1-inch (2.5 cm) strips or cubes.

Combine 8 cups of water with 2 full tbs of baking soda.  Pour over the rind and let stand for on hour.  Drain.

Cover with fresh cold water and simmer for 1.5 hours or until tender.  Drain.

Wrap up 2 tbs whole allspice; 2 tbs whole cloves, and ten 2" (5 cm) pieces of stick cinnamon in a clean small cotton cloth.

Combine 4 cups of cider vinegar with 4 cups of water and 4 pounds (1.8 kg) of sugar.  Heat until sugar dissolves.  Add spice bag and rind.  Simmer gently for 2 hours.

Pack rind and liquid into clean (sterile) jars.  This watermelon rind pickle recipe makes about 6 pints (12 cups)

I cut down on the initial cooking time by 15 minutes because I wanted the rind to remain crisp.  I had some trouble with peeling. I ended up using the big knife.  I didn't have allspice so I used whole dill and celery seed along with the cloves and cinnamon sticks. I am storing my pickles in a cool place.  (1 cup = 2 dl.)

Eat and enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. I love watermelon rind pickles! I used to make them every summer when I canned. They taste like spicy candy.

    ReplyDelete