Sunday, February 17, 2013

Planting Roses in the Landscape

My bundle of a fabulous Grandiflora and two Hybrid Tea Roses came with explicit planting and care instructions.  All I have to do is soak the pots with the roses remaining in them while digging future homes for them.  I have removed the bottoms of the pots so that the roots may wander freely once in the ground.  I have mixed the soil with commercial cow manure and now I am ready to plant the roses.

The information on the Grandiflora named Queen Elizabeth said that it will produce a lovely blend of carmine-rose and pink blooms on long stems.  It will also have dark, glossy, leathery foliage foliage.

Queen Elizabeth is flanked by the Hybrid Tea Roses:  a long lasting Olympiad that will bear crimson flowers and ideal for cutting.  The other one is a delicate lavender tea with a delightful name--Moonlight Magic.  It will have a "wisp" of light fragrance and medium green foliage with strong disease resistant stems.

I inserted the roses with the pots in the designated holes, patted down the soil around them and gave them a generous watering.  Finally, I put pine straw around them to keep the moisture in the ground and slow down the growth of weeds.  I am holding off on fertilizing until a good growth has developed.

I've heard that it is difficult to grow roses in Florida but it is doable.  Unfortunately, pesticide and insecticide must be used to combat fungus and black or brown spots.  "Dead heading" (snipping off) the spent blooms is a good practice to promote growth and new blooms.  It makes the roses look more attractive, too.

The words Treasure House, without address, were printed on the green plastic bags that housed the roses when I received them.  I cannot find this company on the Internet.  The roses were packed in Tyler Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment