Saturday, December 2, 2017

First Sunday of Advent 2017

This is the season  . . .  This is the season to anticipate and mindfully prepare for the Celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas.

This is the season . . . .  This is the busiest season with gift buying, baking and cooking, harvesting the greens in the garden, making jams and jellies, parties, and obligations to friends and family.  What did I leave out?

This is the season . . . .   It is traditional in the Christian religion for churches as well as for families to light a candle for the first Sunday of Advent and one additional candle for each Sunday  until all four candles are lit in time for Christmas Day.

A long time ago, my mother gave me this copper candle holder for the four candles in the Advent season.  Unfortunately, I don't remember how she got the candle holder or who gave it to her.  But it is a treasure since my mother passed away some years ago.

It is meaningful to continue with traditions.  When I was coming along, the Swedes didn't have any other color but white for candles and my candles are always white during the Christmas holiday.  Purple is the traditional color in many churches.

For the First Sunday of Advent, it is for me meaningful to light a white candle in the stillness of the early morning and take a moment to reflect on the upcoming holidays.  I count my blessings and acknowledge that God has been good to me.

Have a Blessed First Sunday of Advent

No comments:

Post a Comment